: Norman 32
Cockpit : Centre
Engine & Fuel
Perkins inboard Diesel
1800cc 48 hp
: Enfield 130
Electrolux 3 way
Gas Water Heater
Warm Air Heating :
2000 - 4000 watts peak
Also has VHF radio and an alarm.
Very well cared for by previous owners,
Ill health has forced them to give her up, just planning a paint job and a new
rear cover is all for now..
We have "Nostalgia" our 32 (well.. she's now called "Ayup
Miduck".. Steves favourite phase) at her new mooring at Preston Brook.
As new boaters, the trip from nr Goole to Runcorn was a
bit hairy for Steve and his intrepid crew, comprising our youngest daughter,
eldest grandson and his GF..taken along for their youthful energy and keeness
to work locks (I think they should be permanent) .......they quickly got the
hang of things, going from the eh? team to A* in no time at all
They had two breakdowns though, both with the steering !
Thank gods for RCR!
The first time was near summit, on the Rochdale, in the
pouring rain with a booking to go through the next morning, so they chilled
out, waited for the engineer, who said the steering was cobbled together with
cable ties, and did a repair that he said should get us home..by then it was
too late to go on, so they went to the pub..what else!
The second was part way through locks 65-83,another
booked passage where boaters are allowed 8.30am prompt until 4pm..b****r sez
Steve....luckily a narrowboating couple were coming through with them and
offered to breast up with them down as far as Castlefield basin, where RCR
could be called again how very kind :))
All went well except that in one lock, being side by
side, and having had to lift the fenders, our boat was stuck between a rock
(wall) and a hard narrowboat, suffering minor damage to her port rubbing
strakes, and pulling off a 2ft length of the stbd strakes.. but thats what
strakes are for, and they were very grateful for the help
At teatime they arrived at Castlefield Basin, thanked
their rescuers with a nice bottle of wine and got sorted,arranging for RCR to
visit the next morning and chilled out..
Next morning .the engineer from RCR, told us that the
problem was that the fitting on the steering wheel is different from the
fitting on the cable, he did do a good repair on it but told Steve that it
could do with the whole thing replacing, thought maybe just a diff.steering
wheel would be ok but he knew a man who could replace cable helm and steering
wheel for approx £600. A bit shellshocked we decided to look around for better
quotes or sources to buy parts while saving up!
Apart from the breakdowns the journey was mainly
uneventful, though slowed down more than they had anticipated, by a lock
breakdown, carrier bags, a huge builders bag, t-shirts etc getting wrapped
around the prop, and helpful "winos" at locks in Rochdale, though to be PC I
think we're now supposed to refer to them as "colourful local
characters".....not to mention torrential rain and discovering that the tunnel
light didn't work!
The kids though, thought it the best fun they ever had
and want to do it again!
having looked her over we intend to do more than at
first thought, so enclose some "before pics"..obvious things to start with are
re-bedding most of the deck hardware, pulpit, cleats, fairleads etc..the front
and rear hatches need repair, the front hatch upstand around the opening
being wet and completely rotten ,hence it being sealed.. the hardwood
windscreen pours in water and need stripping down, fill re-seal, re-paint
etc ..and a new paint job, portside rear corner fenders (lost them when the
steering went). and rear cover...she doesn't have one.
weatherproofing her has to be first so I can complete
the inside over winter
Inside, priority is to find someone to move the gas
water heater.. it vents into the cockpit!.. new front cabin floor (it has been
done in very thin ply) re-bed the front windows, and maybe alter the side
we have already removed the wall carpet and glue from
the back cabin walls and rear bulkhead and latex/wool table protector from
front cabin walls
the rest is just curtains/upholstery and lose the carpet
on the whole she is sound and dry, it seems to be
little jobs that have built up when her previous owner fell ill.
Interestingly I found out on removing her nameplates
that though she came all the way from nr Goole, she had "come home" as it
were. On the reverse of her rear nameplate was the name "Imagine" with Preston
Brook as home place..also Imagine was on the reverse of the side
nameplates.... and under them, etched into a wooden plaque, the name Dart.. so
she's been about!
I will update as she goes on, the last to do will be to
hopefully find a hardstanding nearby early next spring for a liftout and paint