Engine & Fuel :
We are moored at Goytre Wharf on the Monmouth and Brecon
Canal in Gwent, South Wales.
We purchased her approx. 8 weeks ago and she was in
desperate need of some TLC but we knew we could bring her back to life with a
bit of hard work & DIY. Nothing major just mostly tired and well used.
Our first weekend was spent in rubber gloves and with
something called "Muck off" (we think that's what the girl in the caravan shop
said!!! And this brought the outside up as new and with new vinyl name
plates she was already looking Ship shape and lively again.
Our first trip out we managed to get 200yds before the
engine coughed and spluttered and we became the Saturday night entertainment
for all the other boaters in the Wharf - how to get a dead boat back to the
mooring with no oars was our first lesson!
The next week was spent in the shed cleaning out the
engine that had obviously been neglected for a few years - she now runs very
Next Clive revamped the cockpit - raised the storage
boxes for two reason (1) it gave additional seating, (2) it made it easier to
get in and out of the boat. However, it also gave us additional storage
space. He then rewired the lights that had never worked (could be there
wasn't any wire in the first place)!!
Moving swiftly to the inside, we purchased some caravan
seating via e-bay and I set about altering this to fit Typsy. We are thrilled
with the results as the pictures show it has totally transformed her
upholstery. The seller of the upholstery even threw in the lined velour
curtains to match free of charge and these have now been altered to fit after
we have painted the insides.
The old toilet compartment (for dwarfs) has gone. It is
now a half-size cupboard with a worktop on it. The old kitchen unit has
joined the toilet compartment at the local tip and has been rebuilt in a more
modern and practical style complete with new sink. These will get painted this
That's as far as we have got in 8 weeks and I attach a
few after pictures - we don't want to remember her as before!
Future plans are that in 2 weeks time she is coming out
of the water to have her bottom cleaned and anti-fouled. Then she will have
her decks repainted.
progress had gone well over the autumn and early November saw her out of the
water for a bottom clean, paint and new gas and petrol boxes fitted.
us moving on to the inside and a personal goal of Easter to complete the
project spurred us on.
New pictures have been added so that any prospective DIY’ers
can see what can be achieved with sheer determination and a little hard work.
Monetary costs were minimal but the overall finish is luxurious. ‘Nosing’ at
boats for sale ads, gave us the idea of making the kitchen wall into a flap to
produce another worktop and now enables us to move the gas hob out into the
canopy in finer weather. It also opens up the boat space to produce a less
This week we
threw caution to the wind and added a brand new 8hp 4-stroke engine – well you
only live once don’t you?
original intention was to do her up and sell her on, we have now decided that
we will keep her for at least a year before venturing to a bigger boat and
similar project – Complete novices but we did it and many other boaters at our
moorings have congratulated us on the outcome. So don’t be put off by a
little hard work to produce a boat you are proud of.
Change of ownership
Now added solar panel battery charger and
raised the canopy height.
"Tipsy Gypsy" is moored at Goytre Wharf on the MonBrecon
I hae owned her for 3 months and have carried out the
Fitted 240 volt electric system to Wharf requirements.
New canopy by Hoods & Sails with higher headroom
New rear fenders
I have attached the original sales document with before
and my recent photos of the new canopy